Families whose loved ones have been killed or maimed by reckless behavior and dangerous conditions on New York City’s streets have come together to turn grief into action. They will formally announce their new group, “Families For Safe Streets,” as a force for change on Sunday February 23 at 2pm on the steps of City Hall. Everyone is welcome to attend. Please visit the Facebook page for this event more details.
They are also planning a monthly meeting for individuals or families who have lost a loved one to reckless traffic in NYC. See the Families for Safe Streets webpage for more details.
Update: Here’s a selection of media coverage from the event:
- Stephen Miller, “Families of Traffic Violence Victims: Implement Vision Zero Now” Streetsblog, Feb. 24, 2014
- Streetfilms, “Families for Safe Streets: Let’s End Traffic Violence” Feb. 24, 2014
- Keith Williams, “New safe-streets group brings ‘the moral imperative to act’” The Weekly Nabe, Feb. 24, 2014
- Dana Varinsky, “Victims’ Families and Advocates Form Group to Combat Traffic Deaths” DNAinfo New York, Feb. 23, 2014
- Additional coverage from the multilingual press: TurkishNY, Epoch Times, World Journal